Treatment Spotlight: Drug-Free Devices
You are currently watching a preview of this interview. Unlock the full version by upgrading to an Access Pass bundle! Get FREE access to 8 expert interviews from Day 1 and Day 2 when you register today!
- What non-invasive neuromodulation devices have been approved by the FDA for the treatment of migraine?
- Are neuromodulation devices safe?
- Does insurance cover neuromodulation devices?
- Do you need a prescription for neuromodulation devices, and if so, does it have to be from a headache specialist or can it be from a primary care provider?
- Do these devices hurt when you use them?
- Can they be used for both acute and preventive treatment of migraine?
- How do I know if I’m a good candidate for a neuromodulation device?
- Can any of these devices be used for cluster headache?
- Are there any side effects from using these devices?
- Are there any new devices due to be released soon?
Find more about Amaal Starling, MD and his work here:
Amaal J. Starling, MD, FAHS, FAAN
Mayo Clinic, Arizona
Dr. Amaal J. Starling is an associate professor of neurology at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine. She joined the Mayo Clinic in 2012 and is currently a consultant within the Department of Neurology. Dr. Starling received her medical degree from the Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia. She completed a transitional year residency, a neurology residency, and a headache fellowship at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Dr. Starling is an active member of numerous migraine advocacy organizations, including the American Headache Society (AHS), the American Migraine Foundation, and the American Academy of Neurology (AAN). She is also involved in events supporting migraine, including Headache on the Hill, Miles for Migraine, and the Alliance for Headache Disorders Advocacy. Dr. Starling is currently serving on the AHS Board of Directors and is the chair of the AHS Advocacy Committee and a member of the AHS Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Taskforce. Dr. Starling has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the AHS Above and Beyond Award for Service, Manfred D. Muenter Award for Excellence in Clinical Neurology, the AAN Annual Meeting Residency Scholarship, the 2012 Spirit of Mayo Clinic Award, and the Mayo Brothers Distinguished Fellowship Award.
Dr. Starling has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and abstracts related to her fields of interest, which include migraine, concussion, post-traumatic headache, neuromodulation, and telemedicine. Dr. Starling’s hope is that her research and advocacy will advance care for people with migraine, post-traumatic headache, and other headache disorders. She envisions a future in which all people with headache disorders receive personalized, effective, and well-tolerated treatment options to improve their quality of life.
Interviews from Amaal J. Starling, MD, FAHS, FAAN
Pre-purchase full access to the entire 2024 Summit, including:
- All expert interviews with separate audio (MP3) files & transcripts
- 30 extended, uncut interview editions with hours more expert footage
- Lifetime access with no annual fee