Our mission is simple. To reduce the global burden of migraine.
- Migraine is more common than diabetes, epilepsy and asthma combined. (1)
- One in seven people suffer from migraine… that’s one billion globally. (2)
- Fewer than half of those with migraine consult a physician. (3)
- For those who do seek help, finding the right doctor can be difficult. Just 4 hours are committed to headaches disorders in undergraduate medical training worldwide. (4)
- The US is one of the few places where there are subspecialty certifications for headache medicine, yet there is only 1 headache specialist for every 85,000 patients. (5)
- The estimated annual cost of migraine in the US alone is over $17 billion. (6)
- Steiner TJ et al. The prevalence and disability burden of adult migraine in England and their relationships to age, gender and ethnicity. Cephalalgia. 2003;23(7):519-527.
- Steiner TJ et al. Migraine: the seventh disabler. The Journal of Headache and Pain 2013, 14:1.
- Pavone E et al. Patterns of triptans use: a study based on the records of a community pharmaceutical department. Cephalalgia. 2007;27(9):1000-4.
- World Health Organization. Atlas of headache disorders and resources in the world 2011.
- Mauser, Emily D., and Noah L. Rosen. “So many migraines, so few subspecialists: Analysis of the geographic location of United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties (UCNS) certified headache subspecialists compared to United States headache demographics.” Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain 54.8 (2014): 1347-1357.
- Goldberg, Lawrence D. “The cost of migraine and its treatment.” The American journal of managed care 11.2 Suppl (2005): S62-7
Register for the Migraine World Summit today!
Get full access to all interviews and summit content
View some of the top migraine interview content on the planet
Engage in user discussion with fellow migraine attendees
Register now and get instant access to 8 expert interviews