They Don’t Get It: Educating Family & Friends on Migraine
You are currently watching a preview of this talk. Unlock the full version by upgrading to an Access Pass bundle!
- Why is our own self-education about migraine so important?
- How is the experience of migraine different in those who are informed versus those who are not?
- Where does migraine education begin?
- Why don’t most doctors teach or tell us more?
- How are relationships affected by migraine?
- Why is being proactive with friends and family so important?
- How can we be more proactive in our migraine condition?
- How can internal challenges like guilt be managed?
- Why do we often hurt those closest to us more than others?
- Where can we find more support outside close friends and family?
- What is the best prescription according to Former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop?
- What are some practical tips to maintain the friendships you want to keep?
- How can those with migraine better navigate dinners, parties, or movie nights?
- What works best: making up an excuse or telling the truth about why we had to cancel?
- What should we expect from ourselves?
- No one is perfect. How do we know what are reasonable expectations in ourselves?
- What are coping skills? Do they really work?
- What do you use to help you cope more effectively?
- How can migraine sometimes lead to depression, anxiousness, and isolation?
- How do we know when to let go of a relationship?
Find more about Teri Robert and her work here:
Advocate & Author
Living Well with Migraine Disease & Headaches
Teri Robert is the author of Living Well With Migraine Disease And Headaches and is a patient expert and advocate, especially in the online field. She has assisted Dr. Todd Schwedt and Dr. David Dodick with their five year Medication Overuse Treatment Strategy Trial (MOTS), which aims to determine the best strategies for patients with chronic migraine and medication overuse headache. Teri Robert has been an educational content contributor for several authoritative websites and has recently started her own website, Migraine.Ninja. She is the co-founder and past-chair of the American Headache and Migraine Association and is a member of the International Headache Society and the National Headache Foundation.
Unlock full access to the entire 2018 Summit, including:
- 30+ Expert interviews with audio clips and transcripts
- Unlimited streaming and downloads
- Lifetime access with no annual fee