HR Leader Role Description
The Migraine World Summit is an annual live event that is held each year in March or April. It is available for free online.
The Migraine World Summit provides an opportunity to improve patients’ and caregivers’ understanding of migraine and headache disorders by providing access to leading migraine experts, doctors and specialists from around the world.
Our mission is to reduce the global burden of migraine. By giving access to many of the world’s top experts, information is shared that can be discussed with the patients’ healthcare professionals to improve health and wellness.
We’re seeking a dynamic, highly motivated HR Leader to take charge of our HR function for multiple teams of volunteers. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced HR professional to leverage their skills in a unique, challenging and rewarding role. The HR Leader will work independently, overseeing all areas of human resources including but not limited to volunteer recruitment and retention, training, identifying ‘migraine champions’, future leaders and performance management.
- Proven self-starter, able to work independently, managing multiple priorities in a dynamic environment
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build meaningful relationships
- Strong leadership qualities with an emphasis on team motivation and personnel development
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and a high degree of emotional intelligence
- Commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion within the organization
- Experience and comfort with working with volunteers
- Strong ethical standards and understanding of confidentiality related to HR roles
- Adaptable to change, with the ability to drive HR strategies in an ever-evolving environment
- Oversee all aspects of the HR function for our volunteer teams, including recruitment, training, performance management, and retention
- Maintain and if needed, develop, HR strategies and initiatives that align with the mission and values of our organization
- Manage the recruitment process from the early stages until finish, including job postings, interviews, onboarding, and orientation
- Lead regular orientation and onboarding sessions for new volunteers join our team
- Support team leaders to create, implement, and manage training and development programs for our volunteers to promote continuous skill improvement
- Identify potential “migraine champions” who can serve as team leads in the future, or help with other initiatives
- Lead internal communications with regular monthly newsletters informing our team of the updates
- Facilitate virtual team ‘Town Halls’ at key points throughout the year to bring the entire team together
- Administer team surveys, report insights and take action on results
- Maintain a positive work environment and champion our inclusive team culture
- Support team leads in the management and leadership of their people
- Regularly report to executive management on team metrics and HR initiatives
QUALIFICATIONS & PREFERRED EXPERIENCE
Helpful but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or a related field preferred; Master’s degree or relevant certification (e.g., SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR, or SPHR) is ideal.
- Ideally over 5 years of leadership experience in Human Resources; experience working with volunteers is a strong plus.
- Comprehensive knowledge of HR best practices, and understanding of key HR functions.
- Confident putting together professional presentations using Microsoft Powerpoint and/or Google Slides.
- Adept or comfortable learning Google Drive, Google Sheets (Microsoft Excel equivalent), Google Forms and Slack (team internal communications).
- Proficiency in HRIS systems and MS Office suite; tech-savviness to learn new software as needed.
- Location: Flexible
- Timeframe/Hours: The busy period for our HR leader is July-October. Outside this time the role is perhaps 4 hours a week. During the busy period it may be higher.
- There may be additional opportunities available for project work
By embodying these traits and fulfilling these responsibilities, our HR Leader will help us ensure a thriving and dedicated volunteer team. We’re excited about the potential for growth and development in this role, and we look forward to reviewing your application.
Join Our Team
Thank you so much for your consideration. Please subscribe to our email list for recruitment updates.
We understand that, for many, life is a daily struggle and you are simply not in a position to take on anything more. If you feel like this could be taxing on your health in any way, do not apply now. We greatly appreciate your consideration and would much rather you prioritize your health and come back in a better place next year.
If your health permits it, you possess the relevant skills and are ready to demonstrate just how amazing you can be despite chronic illness, please apply or share this with someone you know who might be interested. Please note, these roles are open globally, and will be filled on a rolling basis—some right away, and others as needed. Thanks for your patience with us as we review all of the applications.
Fill out this short form to be considered for the Migraine World Summit team. Join us to help make a world of difference.
Register for the Migraine World Summit today!
Get full access to all interviews and summit content
View some of the top migraine interview content on the planet
Engage in user discussion with fellow migraine attendees